Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Yummmmmy!

I've always enjoyed baking; however, since being married I find I don't do it very often  (probably because I can't eat anything I would like and remain the same weight, so there for I don't make it).  Baking bread and rolls has always intimidated me. I never thought I could do it so I never tried. Well last night I finally gave it a try and let's just say nobody was disappointed. They turned out pretty good for my first attempt and as Jared said "I will be making them again very soon".


honey whole wheat rolls

Here is the recipe for those of you interested.

1/4 cup warm water
2 and 1/4 teaspoons yeast 
3 tablespoons butter or oil, plus more for the bowl and roll tops
3 tablespoons honey, plus more for the tops
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour, plus more if needed
1/4 cup oats, for the tops
In a small bowl, combine warm water and yeast. Let stand for five minutes. In a separate large bowl, combine butter, honey, salt, and hot water. Stir until butter melts. Let cool until luke warm, about ten minutes. Add yeast mixture, egg, and flour, about 1 cup at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead the dough briefly, about two minutes. Butter the bowl and replace the dough. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and let rise for one hour. (You can refrigerate the dough for 2-12 hours, instead of letting it rise for one hour.) Punch down the dough and divide it into 12 portions. Shape them into round rolls and place in a greased 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Let rise, covered for about 1 hour. Bake for about 18 minutes at 425 degrees. When rolls finish baking, brush the tops with extra butter, some honey and give them a sprinkling of oats

5 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

What about posting the recipe? :)

Ginamarie said...

Those look so yummy!

I don't bake either but after seeing those rolls...I think I am going to give some a try.

Kristen said...

Of course I know who you are! See, I didn't even know you had a blog!! And that recipe looks YUMMY!!

Mollie said...

They look way good! I've never made rolls from scratch...don't even attempt the frozen kind:)

Nae said...

Yum, I'll have to try them. My weekness is for bread.